What is redhouse?
Redhouse is a non-profit multi-arts organization founded in 2004 (when it was opened to the public). Originally it began when there was a group of local artists looking for a home, in 2001. It is a facility that provides art education and cultural activities to the CNY region. The three-story building was old and abandoned but the group of artists still saw potential and character despite the fact that it required some major renovations. A campaign was organized in order to raise funds to renovate and transform the building from a previously known boarding house into a home for the arts.
As a part of the production, redhouse facilitates the public with a place to hold public, private special and corporate events.
The NYSCA (New York State Council on the Arts) typically assists any institution that supports artistic excellence and creative freedom in the New York region. They go about assisting such institutions through its grant making activity. Their main aim is to achieve cultural development in the State of New York.
Red House Arts Center:
-non-profit multi-arts organization founded in 2004
-provides art education to the region
-provides cultural activities
-monthly radio shows
-art education (5 programs)
-independent film series
-special events (private party spaces for rent)
– as an organization that is supposed to be community based and artist driven they are geared towards a certain subset of people
– pricey membership and event tickets
– maybe geared towards the professional community rather than the poorer communities (service/labor industry)
– even youth classes (redED) seem to be pricey for the average person
– seems to be geared at middle to upper class communities
– considered part of the connective corridor bus route but doesn’t really partake in being a part of the community
– seem to be more interested in the theatrical aspect than the singer/songwriter aspect (flaws in residency)
– Why are there no hours listed on the website?
– If they wanted to be seen as a community organization they should list hours and also be more inviting to the public?
– Why is there little to no publicity? Limited advertising seen.
– With limited amounts of advertising how do people find out about them in order to donate? (they claim to be dependent upon the donations of individuals).
– Is there another source of income?